Math in the News
Kindergarten to Grade 9
Key Messages and Background Information about Curriculum Redesign, Prototyping and Mathematics (Key Messages & Background Info about Curriculum Redesign & Prototyping &…)
Facts About Mathematics in Alberta for Parents (q-a_par_eng)
Here are some additional resources to help overcome the forced dichotomy that the mathematics petition seems to be bringing about.
1. Alberta Education Math Parents’ site:
- How does today’s mathematics classroom differ from what I experienced?
- How can I help my child look forward to math?
- How can technology support the learning of mathematics?
- Why is the focus in my child’s math class on problem solving?
- Why are elementary students studying algebra?
- What does it mean for my child to communicate in math?
- What is “mental mathematics”?
- What is number sense?
- What are manipulatives?
- How can literature support mathematics?
- What are personal strategies and formal algorithms?
2. Myths and Facts about Math from David Martin
3. Some excellent media links:
- City TV – Friday March 14 – http://www.btcalgary.ca/videos/3339490524001/
- CBC radio with David Martin http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/math-teacher-defends-alberta-curriculum-1.2501009